Licorice Root - Herbal Research
A World Health Organization resource - Full Report
Uses described in pharmacopoeias and in traditional systems of medicine
As a demulcent in the treatment of sore throats, and as an expectorant in the treatment of coughs and bronchial catarrh. Also in the prophylaxis and treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcers, and dyspepsia (1, 6, 8, 27–29). As an anti-inflammatory agent in the treatment of allergic reactions (27), rheumatism and arthritis (9), to prevent liver toxicity, and to treat tuberculosis and adrenocorticoid insufficiency (9, 30).
Uses described in folk medicine, not supported by experimental or clinical data
As a laxative, emmenagogue, contraceptive, galactagogue, antiasthmatic drug, and antiviral agent (15). In the treatment of dental caries, kidney stones, heart disease (15), "consumption", epilepsy, loss of appetite, appendicitis, dizziness, tetanus, diphtheria, snake bite, and haemorrhoids (11, 13).
1. African pharmacopoeia, Vol. 1, 1st. ed. Lagos, Organization of African Unity, Scientific Technical & Research Commission, 1985:131–134.
6. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China (English ed.). Guangzhou, Guangdong Science and Technology Press, 1992.
8. Farmakope Indonesia, 4th ed. Jakarta, Departemen Kesehatan, Republik Indonesia, 1995.
9. Bradley PR, ed. British herbal compendium, Vol. 1. Bournemouth, British Herbal Medicine Association, 1992:145–148.
11. The Indian pharmaceutical codex. Vol. I. Indigenous drugs. New Delhi, Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, 1953:112–113.
13. Chin WY, Keng H. An illustrated dictionary of Chinese medicinal herbs. Singapore, CRCS Publications, 1992.
15. Farnsworth NR, ed. NAPRALERT database. University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, August 21, 1995 production (an on-line database available directly through the University of Illinois at Chicago or through the Scientific and Technical Network (STN) of Chemical Abstracts Services).
27. Hikino H. Recent research on Oriental medicinal plants. In: Wagner H, Hikino H, Farnsworth NR, eds. Economic and medicinal plant research. Vol. 1. London, Academic Press, 1985:53–85.
28. Bruneton J. Pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, medicinal plants. Paris, Lavoisier, 1995:549– 554.
29. German Commission E Monograph, Liquiritiae radix. Bundesanzeiger, 1985, 90:15 May
30. Schambelan M. Licorice ingestion and blood pressure regulating hormones. Steroids, 1994, 59:127–130.