Herba Origani is used to treat cough, colds and bronchial catarrh, and is used as an expectorant and diaphoretic (39–41).
Other uses include the treatment of bloating, stimulation of bile secretion, of the appetite and of digestion, and as a sedative and antispasmodic agent (15,42,43).
Herba Origani is also used as an emmenagogue in Unani medicine (44), and for treatment of algomenorrhoea and impotence (45).
The herb is used as a diuretic and as a treatment for kidney infections, kidney stones and poor renal function resulting from chronic nephritis (22). It is also used to treat inflammation, arthritis (46), hepatitis (47,48), and externally for scrofula and wound healing (49
15. Turova AD, Sapozhnikova EN. Lekarstvennie rastenija SSSR i ikh primenenie. Moscow, Meditsina, 1982.
22. Chevallier A. The encyclopaedia of medicinal plants. London, Dorling Kindersley, 1996
39. Hammerman AF, Kadaev GN, Jacenko-Khmelevski AA. Lekarstvennie rastenija. Moscow, Visshaja shkola, 1983.
40. Zargari A. Medicinal plants, 5th ed.,Vol. 4. Tehran, Tehran University, 1992:969.
41. De Feo V et al. Traditional phytotherapy in the peninsula Sorrentina, Campania, Southern Italy. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 1992, 36:113–125.
42. Anonymous. The herbalist. Hammond, IN, Hammond Book Company, 1931.
43. Novaretti R, Lemordant D. Plants in the traditional medicine of the Ubaye valley. Journal of Ethnopharmacology,
44. Yesilada E et al. Traditional medicine in Turkey. V. Folk medicine in the Inner Taurus mountains. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 1995, 46:133–152.
45. Mikhailenko ET, Radzinskii WE, Zakharov KA. Lekarstvennye rastenija v akusherstve I ginekologii, 2nd ed. Kiev, Zdorovje, 1987.
46. Mascolo N et al. Biological screening of Italian medicinal plants for antiinflammatory activity. Phytotherapy Research, 1987, 1:28–31.
47. Lin CC, Kan WS. Medicinal plants used for the treatment of hepatitis in Taiwan. American Journal of Chinese Medicine, 1990, 18:35–43.
48. Lemhadri A et al. Anti-hyperglycaemic activity of the aqueous extract of Origanum vulgare growing wild in Tafilalet region. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2004, 92:251–256.
49. De Feo V, Senatore F. Medicinal plants and phytotherapy in the Amalfitan coast, Salerno province, Campania, Southern Italy. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 1993, 1:39–51