Plantain Seed - Herbal Research
A World Health Organization resource - Full Report
Medicinal uses supported by clinical data
As a bulk-forming laxative used to restore and maintain regularity (2, 4, 16–20). Semen Plantaginis is indicated in the treatment of chronic constipation, temporary constipation due to illness or pregnancy, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation related to duodenal ulcer or diverticulitis (17–22). It is also used to soften the stools of those with haemorrhoids, or after anorectal surgery (16, 17).
Uses described in pharmacopoeias and in traditional systems of medicine
While Semen Plantaginis is primarily used in the treatment of constipation, it has also been used effectively in the short-term symptomatic treatment of diarrhoea of various etiologies (23, 24).
Uses described in folk medicine, not supported by experimental or clinical data
Other medical uses claimed for Semen Plantaginis include use as an expectorant and antitussive, an antibacterial agent, and a diuretic and in the treatment of rheumatic and gouty afflictions, glandular swelling, and bronchitis (8).
2. European pharmacopoeia, 3rd ed. Strasbourg, Council of Europe, 1997.
4. African pharmacopoeia, 1st ed. Lagos, Organization of African Unity, Scientific, Technical & Research Commission, 1985.
8. Kapoor LD. Handbook of Ayurvedic medicinal plants. Boca Raton, FL, CRC Press, 1990:267.
16. Sölter H, Lorenz D. Summary of clinical results with Prodiem Plain, a bowel regulating agent. Today's therapeutic trends, 1983, 1:45–59.
17. Marlett JA et al. Comparative laxation of psyllium with and without senna in an ambulatory constipated population. American journal of gastroenterology, 1987, 82:333– 337.
18. Lennard-Jones JE. Clinical management of constipation. Pharmacology, 1993, 47:216– 223.
19. Reynolds JEF, ed. Martindale, the extra pharmacopoeia, 30th ed. London, Pharmaceutical Press, 1993.
20. Goodman and Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics, 8th ed. New York, Pergamon Press, 1996.
21. Edwards C. Diverticular disease of the colon. European journal of gastroenterology and hepatology, 1993, 5:583–586.
22. Ligny G. Therapie des Colon irritabile; Kontrollierte Doppelblindstudie zur Prüfung der Wirksamkeit einer hemizellulosehaltigen Arzneizubereitung. Therapeutikon, 1988, 7:449–453.
23. Qvitzau S, Matzen P, Madsen P. Treatment of chronic diarrhea: loperamide versus ispaghula husk and calcium. Scandinavian journal of gastroenterology, 1988, 23:1237– 1240.
24. Harmouz W. Therapy of acute and chronic diarrhea with Agiocur ®. Medizinische Klinik, 1984, 79:32–33.